HTML/JavaScript

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A sad day in our village ...


 They say it takes a village to raise a child.  When we found out we were expecting twins, after the initial excitement and jubilation wore off, a bit of panic set in.  Both Randall and I had moved to Cincinnati for our jobs.  Our families were 800 and 2,400 miles away.  We were going to have to do this on our own.  We are forever grateful to our mothers and my sister, who came and stayed with us for the first 2 months after the girls were born and for our wonderful friends who brought home cooked meals, rocked crying babies and became our village.  But in this day and age and in the business that we work in, friends move (we move) and villages are far from stable. 

When the girls were six month old and it was time for me to go back to work, we decided to hire Sara as a nanny for Kenzie & Lexi.  I wasn’t even sure if I really wanted a nanny, as I thought there were socialization benefits to day care.  But it was one of the best decisions we have ever made, as soon Sara became much more than a nanny.  She became part of our family and our village.  Not only did we trust her to care for, love, and teach our daughters for 50 hours a week, she was also the one we called to watch Lexi on a Sunday night when we had to take Kenzie to the emergency room with a 105 degree fever.  She was the one who would watch the girls overnight when both Randall and I had to travel for work or over the weekend when we needed a little getaway.   She was with Kenzie & Lexi 5 days a week for 5 years - that’s 12,500 hours that she spent caring for them.  She knew the girls better than anyone and was the cornerstone of our village.

When we found out about our move to Geneva, we knew that one of the trade-offs of the amazing experiences the expat life offers, would be the fact that we would need to leave “our village” behind – great friends in Cincinnati, family who was at least on the same continent, and Sara.  Sara accompanied us on the move to Geneva and was here with us for our first 8 weeks to help us get settled.  This was such a blessing for us all, but I think it is also why saying goodbye today was so very hard.  SHE was our village in Geneva for the past 8 weeks, and now that she is gone there is this huge void in all of our hearts.  What makes it even more difficult is that we really haven’t had a chance to start building up a new village here yet.  It is Summer and we have been travelling a lot, as have the few people that I know in Geneva.  I am sure that once school starts we will all start building a network of friends and community, but right now it feels a bit lonely.  I feel isolated from my tribe, and I realize just how important Sara was not only to the girls, but also to me.  She was the one I would bounce things off of when it came to all things Kenzie & Lexi, but also interior design and party planning and fashion and pretty much everything.  Sara was not only Kenzie & Lexi’s nanny, she was also my friend.  I know that Sara will always be a part of our lives and I am so grateful for everything that she has done for our family over the past 5 years.  She will be missed and today my little tribe is in mourning.

I have no doubt that we are giving the girls an incredible experience by living abroad.  In the first 2 months, they have already visited 4 new countries and have been exposed to so many things that they would never have seen in Cincinnati.   I know that over the course of our time in Geneva they will grow in ways that would not have been possible if we had stayed put.  But, with the risk of sounding whiny, I will say that leaving your village behind is hard – we miss our friends and family dearly – and living a transient life can feel lonely and isolating.  For now, I am going to embrace my little tribe of four (three this week while Randall is in the States for work) and am going to enjoy the last week of Summer with my sweet girls. 


We miss you Sara!  Thanks so much for being the cornerstone of our village for the past 5 years! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment